In September I visited the conference “Herbstcampus” in Nuremberg. I took notes about some sessions, that I like to share with you. The notes are in German.
I was asked some time ago, which sources I used in order to inform me about writing software documentation. This motivates me to collect all sources, that helps me, in this blog post. Most of the sources are in German.
- Arc42 Homepage: This site is about the Arc42 template. This template gives you a good framework for your own software documentation. The template is available in English and German. A Spanish version is working in progress.
- DokChess ( in German): Example for how to write software documentation based on the Arc42 template. This example is used in the book “Softwarearchitekturen dokumentieren und kommunizieren”. The documentation itself describes a chess engine.
- Arc42 Starschnitt (in German): Again, an example for how to write software documentation based on the Arc42 template. The documentation describes the build tool Gradle. The difference to Dokchess is that this example explains the motivation and goals behind the single chapter of the Arc42 template.
- Arc42 vs Software Guidebook (in German): Comparison between software documentation after Arc42 template and after Software Guidebook.
- Kolumne “Architekturen dokumentieren” (in German): Newspaper column about architecture documentation from German Java Magazine.
- Architektur-Spicker (in German): Cheat Sheet for writing an overview about your software architecture.
- Agile Modeling: Collection of best practices for effective modeling and documentation in an agile context.
- Effektive Softwarearchitekturen (German) by Gernot Starke: This book is a good introduction to software architecture. One chapter is about writing software documentation based on Arc42 template.
- Softwarearchitekturen dokumentieren und kommunizieren (German) by Stefan Zörner: This book is a good introduction to writing software documentation. It describes why and how we should write software documentation. It also gives a good introduction to tools and how a process for writing software documentation can look like.
- 42 für Softwarearchitekten (German): This W-JAX 09 talk by Gernot Starke introduces to the Arc42 template.
Do you have some more links, books or videos that you can recommend? Let me know it and write a comment.